Re: What should I use for centering (DIV or P)

Paul Prescod (papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca)
Mon, 15 Apr 1996 18:40:36 -0400

Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 18:40:36 -0400
To: boo@best.com (Walter Ian Kaye)
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Subject: Re: What should I use for centering (DIV or P)
Cc: www-html@w3.org

At 03:19 PM 4/15/96 -0700, Walter Ian Kaye wrote:
>At 11:29p 04/15/96, Abigail wrote:
>>The logical markup of the document is far more important than the layout
>>hints. The attributes go with the elements; one doesn't use elements
>>for the attributes.
>
>Ok Abigail, please tell us exactly how you use div. What structural purpose
>does it serve, and why do you consider it unrelated to layout? You sound
>like you are trying to enforce the letter of the law without caring about
>anything else...

   "The DIV element is used with the CLASS attribute to represent
   different kinds of containers, e.g. chapter, section, abstract, or
   appendix."

   "The content model for DIV allows headers, lists, paragraphs
   as well as other DIV elements etc. This allows DIVs to be nested, to
   form hierarchies of chapters, sections, and subsections etc."

ftp://ftp.ietf.cnri.reston.va.us/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-html-style-01.txt

 Pual Prescod