What should I use for centering (DIV or P) (fwd)

MegaZone (megazone@livingston.com)
Mon, 15 Apr 1996 14:17:58 -0700 (PDT)

From: MegaZone <megazone@livingston.com>
Subject: What should I use for centering (DIV or P) (fwd)
To: www-html@w3.org
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 14:17:58 -0700 (PDT)

Once upon a time Heikki Vesalainen shaped the electrons to say...
>I'm making some HTML pages for the big public and I really don't know should I use
><DIV ALIGN=CENTER> or <P ALIGN=CENTER>.

<P align=center> should be used if you want to center a paragraph of text.

<DIV align=center> is a universal container, since <DIV> doesn't do anything
itself (no white space, line breaking, etc) you can surround anything.  I
generally use <DIV align=center> to center images or tables since
'align=center' doesn't seem to work on those entities yet.

-MZ
--
Although I work for Livingston Enterprises Technical Support, I alone am
responsible for everything contained herein.  So don't waste my managers'