Re: Multiple METAs? (Was Re: Inserting audio.)

Paul Derbyshire (ao950@FreeNet.Carleton.CA)
10 Apr 1996 05:53:09 GMT

To: culist-www-html@cunews.carleton.ca
From: ao950@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Paul Derbyshire)
Subject: Re: Multiple METAs?  (Was Re: Inserting audio.)
Date: 10 Apr 1996 05:53:09 GMT

Jonathan L Neuenschwander (jonathan@ecn.purdue.edu) writes:

>> using Netscape it's also possible to use the Meta  Tag to insert an audio file:

> Is it incorrect HTML to have multiple <META http-equiv="Refresh" ...> state-
> ments?  I have two on my homepage, one which plays a sound and one which takes
> the reader to another page.  Only the redirection, which is the second META
> statement, works in Netscape, which doesn't necessarily mean the coding is
> wrong of course.  :-)

Let me guess: announcing! or intro page, with sound, then index page. My
guess about problem: the page load is happening before the sound meta is
triggered, and it erases the sound meta before it can "go off". Or,
Netscape just ignores extra Refresh: in the header.
Solution:
Make a frameset document. In its refresh header is a meta to load your
main screen after 5 seconds. It has one frame. The frame document has a
meta to play the sound and contains the intro html.

<!--Main.HTML-->
  <head>
      content="5; url=http://blah.blah/~whatever/index.html">
    <title>whatever</title>
  </head>
  <frameset rows="*">
    <frame src=intro.html>
  </frameset>

<!--Intro.HTML-->
  <head>
      content="1; url=http://blah.blah/~whatever/myawfulracket.au">
    <title>whatever</title>
  </head>
    Some HTML

--
    .*.  "Clouds are not spheres, mountains are not cones, coastlines are not
 -()  <  circles, and bark is not smooth, nor does lightning travel in a