RE: VRML

Eric Gauthier (eric@gauthier.centre.edu) writes:
> Well,
>
> I think VRLM is going to take over the web, but it will be several
> years before that happens mainly because of machine speed...
> We're not talking about converting a bunch of 286 DOS users -
> from my understanding Pentium machines are barely fast enough
> to truely use VRML.  There is another advantage that no one has mentioned -
> file size.  Although I am not overly familiar with VRLM, the files should be
> considerably smaller than the larger images on some pages.  Since its
> 3-D and faster to download, it should be seen as an imporvement
> (although it will eat processor time...).  Well, that's my $.02...

I quite agree. CPUs will quickly advance the last bit more needed; the
stumbling block here is bandwidth on the 'net. Usual user has a 14.4 or
28.8 modem linkup. Effective VRML and other related things might only work
well with 57.6K and more. Lots of VRML files sizzling across the net will
mean the trunk line infrastructure will need upgrading.

--
    .*.  "Clouds are not spheres, mountains are not cones, coastlines are not
 -()  <  circles, and bark is not smooth, nor does lightning travel in a