Re: overloading QUERY_STRING

Peter A. Dominguez (
Tue, 16 May 1995 20:40:26 -0400

Date: Tue, 16 May 1995 20:40:26 -0400
From: (Peter A. Dominguez)
Subject: Re: overloading QUERY_STRING

>>In a previous message Peter A. Dominguez posted:
>>  I use a CGI / perl script which passes > 2k of data.  This form works fine using
>>  Mosaic and Netscape on Solaris2.4 and on Mac versions.  However under Windows 3.1
>>  the URL gets TRUNCATED.  I was told by the people at Netscape that the maximum
>>  size for a URL in the Windows 3.1 version was hardcoded into a 'c' array and
>>  could not be changed. (by me).
>>  Does anyone know if Windows95 has the same problem?
>>Would this have anything to do with the DOS command-line limitation of
>>256 (or, 128) characters?
>>Just thinkin'
Thank you for your response.  The URL is well over 2,000 bytes which is why
I suspect it is not a command line problem.
Someone at Chase Research came up with the same suggestion.

Please note I set the dos shell environment to '/E:8192'

I was told by Netscape that the QUERY_STRING presented would 'break a lot of

My opinion is that the environment space should only be limited by the available
memory. ( I suspect the fellow who wrote Perl might agree ).

Peter A. Dominguez                                 e-mail:
72 Belvedere Drive                                         (914) 423-4000
Yonkers, NY 10705                                     Fax: (914) 423-3515