Re: <PAGE> proposal

William C. Cheng (
Sat, 23 Dec 1995 11:03:51 -0500

Subject: Re: <PAGE> proposal
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 1995 11:03:51 -0500
From: "William C. Cheng" <>

Eric S. Raymond <> wrote:
| > I agree to some extent, but I find the idea of document controlled
| > pagination limiting, regardless of the technical implementation.
| This objection, and all others like it, fails to address one of my central
| points.  Please try to stop thinking of <PAGE> as document-controlled
| pagination (though I certainly want to use it that way) and start thinking
| of it as an attempt to decouple display behavior from underlying file
| representation.

But it seems to me that having separate scrollable sections _couples_
display behavior with file representation.  <PAGE> doesn't seem to have
any meaning to anything but displays (or printing, which is another kind
of display).
Bill Cheng // Guest at Columbia Unversity Computer Science Department
william@CS.COLUMBIA.EDU      ...!{uunet|ucbvax}!!william
WWW Home Page: <URL:>