Re: When to use <p></p>

BearHeart/Bill Weinman (
Mon, 18 Dec 1995 23:07:43 -0600

Date: Mon, 18 Dec 1995 23:07:43 -0600
From: BearHeart/Bill Weinman <>
Subject: RE: When to use <p></p>

At 08:44 pm 12/18/95 TZ, you wrote:
>| From: Chuck Foster  <>
>| One of the things that I get confused over is when to use </p>, if at
>| all.

><P> is not a container object, so there is no </P>.  You can throw it
>in, and most browsers won't mind.  It's not a required element, though.
> <P> is just a paragraph seperator, not a container.

   Actually, according to the DTD, <P> is a container--it contains text.
The terminating </P> is optional, but in HTML 3 it will be more useful.

   In HTML 3, <P> can have attributes, like:

This is a paragraph that I want allingned to the right side of
the page.

This one has word-wrapping turned off, because it's really, really long!

This one is normal and will probably never bother anyone.

   Those are instances where the terminator will make sense. And it's
already implemented in Netscape 2.0 and some other browsers.

   But technically, <p> is a container.

 * BearHeart / Bill Weinman
 * Author of The CGI Book:    * *
 * Trust everyone, but brand your cattle.