Re: When to use <p></p>

BearHeart/Bill Weinman (BearHeart@bearnet.com)
Mon, 18 Dec 1995 23:07:43 -0600

Date: Mon, 18 Dec 1995 23:07:43 -0600
To: www-html@w3.org
From: BearHeart/Bill Weinman <BearHeart@bearnet.com>
Subject: RE: When to use <p></p>

At 08:44 pm 12/18/95 TZ, you wrote:
>| From: Chuck Foster  <chuck@pipex.net>
>| One of the things that I get confused over is when to use </p>, if at
>| all.

><P> is not a container object, so there is no </P>.  You can throw it
>in, and most browsers won't mind.  It's not a required element, though.
> <P> is just a paragraph seperator, not a container.

   Actually, according to the DTD, <P> is a container--it contains text.
The terminating </P> is optional, but in HTML 3 it will be more useful.

   In HTML 3, <P> can have attributes, like:

<P ALIGN=RIGHT>
This is a paragraph that I want allingned to the right side of
the page.
</P>

<P NOWRAP>
This one has word-wrapping turned off, because it's really, really long!
</P>

<P>
This one is normal and will probably never bother anyone.
</P>

   Those are instances where the terminator will make sense. And it's
already implemented in Netscape 2.0 and some other browsers.

   But technically, <p> is a container.

 * BearHeart / Bill Weinman
 * BearHeart@bearnet.com *            * http://www.bearnet.com/ *
 * Author of The CGI Book:    * http://www.bearnet.com/cgibook/ *
 * Trust everyone, but brand your cattle.