Re: Error in definition of head element

To answer your question, take a look some lines around the element statement:

<!-- content model is %head.misc; combined with a single
 title and an optional base element in any order -->

[...]

<!-- The title element is not considered part of the flow of text.
 It should be displayed, for example as the page header or
 window title. Exactly one title is required per document.
 -->

So a XHTML document requires al least and max. one title element.
This is also required for the transitional doctype of XHTML [1].
The base element and other misc elements are optional, but not required.

If the base element is not given, the Request-URI should be used
for relative URIs in the document.

Best regards,
Peter

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd

> From: "David Meredith" <dave@titanmusic.com>
[...]
> However, I think there should be a question mark after the "(title,
> %head.misc;)" to indicate that the base element can occur on its own without
> a title element. That is, I believe the definition should be as follows:
>
> <!ELEMENT head (%head.misc;,
>      ((title, %head.misc;, (base, %head.misc;)?) |
>       (base, %head.misc;, (title, %head.misc;)?)))>
>
> Is that right?

[...]