Re: [XHTML 2] 18.1.3 document.write (PR#7742)

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 23:30:13 +0100
To: "Steven Pemberton" <xhtml2-issues@hades.mn.aptest.com>, jim@jibbering.com
Cc: www-html-editor@w3.org

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 13:29:02 +0100, Steven Pemberton
<xhtml2-issues@hades.mn.aptest.com> wrote:
> The working group believes that it is not possible to use document.write
> in a
> portable, correct manner in the context of XML.  This is supported by
> others in
> the community:  e.g.,  http://ln.hixie.ch/?start=1091626816&count=1
>
> Although XML allows an incrememental processing model like HTML, it
> doesn't
> demand it so you can't require document.write to work because the parser
> may
> not
> exist by the time the document is processed.
>
> We do agree, however, that this is part of the HTML DOM, not ECMAscript,
> and
> have updated the text.

<http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-DOM-Level-2-HTML-20030109/> states that it
is part of DOM Level 2 HTML which defines interfaces for XHTML as well...
Could the HTML WG perhaps raise this issue on the public DOM mailing list
or somewhere else where it is appropriate?

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>