Re: [XHTML 2] 18.1.3 document.write (PR#7742)

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 23:30:13 +0100
To: "Steven Pemberton" <xhtml2-issues@hades.mn.aptest.com>, jim@jibbering.com
Cc: www-html-editor@w3.org

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 13:29:02 +0100, Steven Pemberton
<xhtml2-issues@hades.mn.aptest.com> wrote:
> The working group believes that it is not possible to use document.write
> in a
> portable, correct manner in the context of XML.  This is supported by
> others in
> the community:  e.g.,  http://ln.hixie.ch/?start=1091626816&count=1
> Although XML allows an incrememental processing model like HTML, it
> doesn't
> demand it so you can't require document.write to work because the parser
> may
> not
> exist by the time the document is processed.
> We do agree, however, that this is part of the HTML DOM, not ECMAscript,
> and
> have updated the text.

<http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-DOM-Level-2-HTML-20030109/> states that it
is part of DOM Level 2 HTML which defines interfaces for XHTML as well...
Could the HTML WG perhaps raise this issue on the public DOM mailing list
or somewhere else where it is appropriate?

Anne van Kesteren