Re: [XHTML 2] 18.1.3 document.write (PR#7742)

From: Steven Pemberton <xhtml2-issues@hades.mn.aptest.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 06:29:02 -0600 (CST)
To: jim@jibbering.com
Cc: www-html-editor@w3.org

> Dear HTML Working Group,
>
> 18.1.3 states that document.write is an ECMAScript method, it is not, please
> correct this, it is defined in HTML DOM
> http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-DOM-Level-1-19981001/
>
> There is also nothing that I can see in the XML processing model that means
> it cannot be used with XML, please provide a reference to the part of the
> XML Processing model or clarify why it cannot in this section.
>
> Or preferably remove 18.1.3, as I can see no normative content in it.

Thanks for the comment.

The working group believes that it is not possible to use document.write in a
portable, correct manner in the context of XML.  This is supported by others in
the community:  e.g.,  http://ln.hixie.ch/?start=1091626816&count=1

Although XML allows an incrememental processing model like HTML, it doesn't
demand it so you can't require document.write to work because the parser may
not
exist by the time the document is processed.

We do agree, however, that this is part of the HTML DOM, not ECMAscript, and
have updated the text.

Best wishes,

Steven Pemberton
FOr the HTML WG