Re: XHTML2: <cite> element, <quote> element (PR#6228)

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Masayasu Ishikawa wrote:

> The HTML WG agreed to put this [<cite>] element back in the next draft.

Excellent.

> > I also noticed that the <quote> element requires that authors explicitly
> > include quote marks. Could the working group explain the reasoning behind
> > requiring this redundant markup?
>
> See the thread at (W3C Members only):
>
>     http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-css-wg/2001JulSep/thread#21

Ah, in context, that makes more sense. As I understand it, quotemarks are
not _required_, per se, but may be included?

Should the quotemarks, if included, be on the inside or the outside of the
element? (The spec is vague about this and has examples that contradict
the above thread.)

Basically, so long as I can continue not including quotemarks, and styling
the quotes as I want, then I think it is fine to also _allow_ quotemarks.

Cheers,