HTML 4.01 Specification

From: Don Edmondson <don.edmondson@ntlworld.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 02:03:56 -0000
To: <www-html-editor@w3.org>
I do not know if it is an error in the specification, or an error in the
document http://www.w3.org/TR/html401 but to get my frameset document (in
which I want three frames but no visible border) into "valid 4.01 HTML" I
have followed the specification as documented (particularly FRAMEBORDER,
MARGINWIDTH and MARGINHEIGHT). I also have <BODY BACKGROUND="xxx"..... and
when I specify FRAMEBORDER=0, the border disappears but I am left with
(between frames) what looks like a single pixel line of NO BACKGROUND (i.e.
white) and MARGINWIDTH and MARGINHEIGHT have no effect on the line. This
does not seem like desirable behaviour?

The only way I have found to remove this "blank line" is by using a BORDER=0
attribute in the <FRAMESET... - but this attribute is supposedly invalid in
the specification and its use will generate errors in the validator.(though
I have some "reference manuals" that say it is valid? and I was "shown" its
use some time ago)

Exactly the same effect can be demonstrated using <BODY BGCOLOR="xxxxx" with
the colour being something different to white

I have tested with IE5.5 SP2 and Netscape 4.7 - both produce the same
result. The webpage is http://www.kg-enterprises.com/index.html