Re: XHTML 1.0 DTD and namespace declaration

mikael@staldal.nu (Mikael Ståldal) wrote:

> But if you don't specify the namespace in the XHTML document, then you
> will get different result when the DTD is used and when it's not (such
> as with a non-validating processor). This may cause problems, and it
> caused me some headache with an XSLT stylesheet before I realized what
> was going on.

And that's the well-known issue of validating processors vs.
non-validating processors, not the problem of XHTML per se.  There
are many things non-validating processors might work differently
than validating processors, e.g. entities declared in an external
subset, and this is only one of them.

Again, having the #FIXED keyword isn't necessarily in conflict with
the Namespaces in XML Recommendation.  You always have an option to
provide the xmlns attribute explicitly in the XHTML document.
I understand your headache, but changing #FIXED to something else
doesn't solve your problem.  If you look at other specifications,
such as SVG, MathML 2.0, SMIL 2.0, ..., you'll realize that those
specifications also define the #FIXED xmlns attribute.

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org
W3C - World Wide Web Consortium