RE: XHTML documents + XSL (or CSS) stylesheets

At 12:16 PM 7/21/00 +0900, mmurata@trl.ibm.co.jp wrote:
>In the case of XHTML, I agree with you.  However, if a WWW browser
>received an SVG document labelled as application/xml and the SVG
>document references to a CSS stylesheet, what will happen?  Will the
>CSS be ignored and the SVG be rendered as SVG?  Or, will the SVG
>document be rendered as if it were not SVG?  I have absolutely
>no ideas.

I'd suggest that the reason you have no ideas is that this case wanders
outside of our domain.  We went out of our way to make image/svg+xml
possible, so using application/xml in this case doesn't provide enough
information to a certain class of non-namespace-aware processors.  We're
not writing about namespace-dispatching, though I suspect future work on
identifying XML document types will have to.

We're just discussing tools for creating appropriate containers, not the
side effects of taking material that works well in one container and
dropping it into a less-specific container.  I'd be happy to add a warning
label to the spec that using text/xml and application/xml for all XML isn't
really best practice, and that more specific labels using the suffix are
generally more reliable.

Simon St.Laurent