Re: ISSUE 59: align on multiple chars: no

From: John D. Burger <john@mitre.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 12:36:39 -0500
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
CC: www-html-editor@w3.org
Dan Connolly wrote:

> Resolved in favor of the status quo: one char.
>
> Proposal is judged to have insufficient merit,
> implementation experience, etc.

I agree completely with this decision.  My only concern here is that some
readers won't realize that "one char" means one character in the document
character set, and that the following is legal:

  <COL align="char" char="&middot;">

How about the following INSertion in Section 12.3.2:

char = cdata [CN]
      This attribute specifies a single character within a text
      fragment that will act as an axis for alignment. The default
      value for this attribute is the decimal point character for the
      current language as set by the lang attribute (e.g., the period
      (".") in English and the comma (",") in French).
      <INS>Note that the alignment character may be specified with a
      named or numeric character entity.</INS>

- John Burger