Re: 1.0 errata section 10 (complex type validation clarification)

From: Steve K Speicher <sspeiche@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 18:42:25 -0400
To: www-forms@w3.org

See thread http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-forms/2006Aug/0047.html
and resulting errata

I find that the definition for validation in the errata is too strict and
doesn't match that of some widely deployed usages of validated XML

Take for instance this example:

  <!-- simple sample XForms model -->
  <xf:model schema="schema.xsd">
    <xf:instance src="stuff.xml" />

  <!-- stuff.xml -->
  <root xmlns="http://sample.com"
    xsi:schemaLocation="http://sample.com schema.xsd">
    <child xsi:type="newType">

According to the errata it says:
   "the node satisfies all applicable XML schema definitions (including
those associated by the type model item property, by an external or an
inline schema, or by xsi:type)"

If for example, my "newType" defines a conflicting complex content model
for <child> then there is no way for my instance to validate, therefore it
can never be submitted.  If you validate the instance using a standalone
validator such as Xerces, it validates fine.

I believe the wording is intended to state that the node is valid if it
passes validation for both these:
  1) external or inline schema, as possibly redefined by xsi:type
  2) type MIP

The errata wording seems to indicate that both external/inline schema and
xsi:type schema type definitions should be used.

Steve Speicher