Re: XForms timer

From: Adrian Baker <adrian@fastmail.net>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 19:53:21 +1200
To: Allan Beaufour <beaufour@gmail.com>
CC: Erik Bruchez <ebruchez@orbeon.com>, Xforms W3C WG <www-forms@w3.org>

Allan Beaufour wrote:

> On 4/27/06, Erik Bruchez <ebruchez@orbeon.com> wrote:
>> <xforms:timer id="my-timer" timeout="1000" repeat="true"/>
>>
>> The timer will just fire an event, for example "xforms-timer", when
>> necessary.
>>
>> <xforms:timer id="my-timer" timeout="1000" repeat="true">
>>    <xforms:send ev:event="xforms-timer" submission="background-save"/>
>> </xforms:timer>
>>
>> You probably need actions and/or events to start and stop a timer as
>> well.
>
> Yes, it looks fine, but then yes "you probably need ...", etc. All
> this is "solved" in javascript. I would still like a justification to
> why it is important to have an XForms specific timer.
I think the justification is nothing more than the 80/20 rule: it's
important because it's such a common requirement, and it becomes easier
for the author if the language supports it directly & declaratively. If
there are more common tasks that currently require scripting, then sure
tackle them first. But this one seems to stick out as a very common use
case which isn't currently covered.

Adrian