RE: [ANN] 'Introduction to XForms' Tutorial

Thanks for the comments Anne.

I certainly don't disagree with you that namespaces are a complicated
subject. But the angle I was taking is whether that has to matter. If you
tell an author that they need to put xmlns:xf="..." at the top of some
document template, and then they always use that template to start a new
project, what's wrong with that?

As authors learn more they will fill in the gaps, and the good thing about
an 'XML stack' of languages is that at least what you learn contributes to
your understanding of other languages--if you know XPath from XSLT, for
example, you can apply it to XForms. That is very different to learning a
JavaScript library, for example, where all you have learned is relevant only
to that library.

So I'm not disagreeing with you Anne, but I'm just trying to find a way
round it, and help people take those first steps into XForms. I think a big
problem for people new to XForms is that everyone who already knows XForms
immediately wants to tell the new author about namespaces and XPath! I was
trying to show with this tutorial that actually, not every form needs to be
complex (I don't even use instance data), and for simple forms that do
pretty much what an HTML form does, XForms is just as easy, and far more
powerful.

Mark Birbeck
CEO
x-port.net Ltd.