Re: AJAX vs. Xforms

Elliotte Harold wrote:

> Perhaps true but mostly irrelevant. There's only one difference that
> matters: AJAX works in today's browsers and XForms doesn't. Game. Set.
> Match.

Fair enough. I hope the situation will change soon, with good
server-side, Ajax-based implementations and/or pure Javascript
implementations. To me, that kind of migration path is the only possible
solution for a wide adoption of XForms on the web (i.e. in
non-controlled environments).

> Bad and nonexistent implementations don't just account for the limited
> use of XForms in the real world. They account for the paucity of
> documentation and examples. I've considered writing about XForms but
> I've given up because the implementations are too poor to make it
> worthwhile. When I've talked about XForms at conferences, the demos I've
> been able to do have been so flaky and unreliable that they've convinced
> everyone to wait for next year.

Maybe it will be time to try again soon? Do you have any particular
demos in mind, or even actual such examples? It would be helpful to the
XForms community if you could share some of this, so that implementors
can then work on making sure that your examples work!

> XForms is a classic example of the problems of writing a spec, solid as
> it may be, in advance of actual implementation.

Can't argue against that. I believe the development of the spec should
at least go hand in hand with the development of at least one
implementation.

-Erik