RE: AJAX vs. Xforms

Erik,

Yes, you are right. I was thinking in terms of a different model for
submission errors, which I recently proposed to the Working Group. (And of
course is not available now!)

The problem my proposal attempts to solve is related to Daniel's but comes
at it from the other side; in SOAP over HTTP, you can get a 500 code
indicating that there was an error, but you can still get valid XML to tell
you about the error. SO you might get "Customer already exists" when you try
to add a new customer. I would have thought that Daniel's server would
ideally be doing something like that (which I think he does mention as a way
to go).

However, with XForms as it stands, an error code not only causes
xforms-submit-error, but also discards the returned data (the assumption
being that there isn't any). To do SOAP properly we need to get that data.

The exact way to resolve that is not completely clear, and there are a
number of fine proposals on the table. But it is something that is under
discussions.

However, as you say, you can't do this now...sorry if I caused any
confusion!

Mark Birbeck
CEO
x-port.net Ltd.