RE: AJAX vs. Xforms

On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 14:29 +0100, Mark Birbeck wrote:
> The problem my proposal attempts to solve is related to Daniel's but comes
> at it from the other side; in SOAP over HTTP, you can get a 500 code
> indicating that there was an error, but you can still get valid XML to tell
> you about the error. SO you might get "Customer already exists" when you try
> to add a new customer. I would have thought that Daniel's server would
> ideally be doing something like that (which I think he does mention as a way
> to go).

Wouldn't it make more sense to send a 4xx error in that example, since
the fault is with something the client did (trying to add a customer
that already exists) rather than something the server did (e.g. going
down for maintenance)?

--
Jasper Bryant-Greene
General Manager

e: jasper@album.co.nz
w: http://www.album.co.nz/
p: 0800 4 ALBUM (0800 425 286) or +64 21 232 3303
a: PO Box 579, Christchurch 8015, New Zealand