Given there is no way of getting an entire element + contents out of X-Forms....

From: Flinton Adam <Adam.Flinton@cfh.nhs.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 11:42:43 +0100
To: <www-forms@w3.org>

I am trying to build an annotation editor based on Xforms. The
annotations have to be in XHTML & the users want a WYSIWYG editor to
type their documentation into.

I have been playing with both Mozile & Tiny MCE & both will fit the bill
(though Mozile is a Moz only editor).

What I need to be able to do (& IMHO Xforms should support) is to get an
element's content as string & then write it back to the model (via a
textarea) as string.

i.e. if I use an Xform textarea I get the text up to the first XHTML tag
& then it stops.

What I want is:

<Annotation>
All of this as string to be able to feed into something which
understands the format

</Annotation>

This also will apply in other areas as we have a need at some point to
include an SVG Element which will contain a SVG representation of (our
not Xforms) a model.

Does anyone know a way where I can use JavaScript & Xforms together to
achieve this?

i.e. if I have a repeat to find all class elements in my model & then
would it be possible to get a reasonable Xpath string out to that class
currently found by the repeat & feed that into the Jscript which can
then populate a std XHTML textarea with the content of the annotation
child of that class element?

& where the Jscript is then responsible for maintaining that element
within the model e.g. when writing back it writes back to the model &
then does a dom refresh.

Adam

This e-mail is confidential and privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please accept our apologies; please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Please inform us that this message has gone astray before deleting it. Thank you for your co-operation.