From: Gary Stewart [mailto:gary@deltagreen.co.uk]
Sent: Monday, April 05, 2004 3:06 AM
To: www-forms@w3.org
Subject: Editing XML in Forms

I was wondering about editing XML in, say a textarea, in XForms. I suspect
that there is no easy way to do this as it is a requirement for XForms 1.1
(Section 2.4 "XForms Processor as XML Editor").

Has anyone tried any solutions for this? I could write a backend script
that upon submit, transforms entity data back into characters (though
might result in an invalid XML document so it might have to be
revalidated). However this would only work where this isn't then required
to be read by an XForms form (you wouldn't be able to "re-edit" the
document without first performing a character to entity on the relivent
parts).

Is my understanding correct about the methods required to edit XML data?

Thanks,

Gary