Specifying the <submission> element

From: Bob Smith <gordongano99@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 10:42:25 -0800 (PST)
To: www-forms@w3.org

(1) The "ref" attribute lets you specify a subtree of
the instance data, but it doesn't say exactly how it's
submitted. E.g. if my ref value is "/a/b/c", then will
"c" be the top level node or will "a"?

(2) Maybe I've missed it, but how do you specify which
instance data to submit? Do you have to put an
instance() function call in the ref attribute? It
would be nice if this were clearer in the spec.

Do you Yahoo!?