Re: Can XForms handle rich text?

Robert_Barker@vanguard.com writes:

> We are working on a web based solution to capture documents in XML in order
> to display later in different formats.
>
> The issues we are facing are:
>
> 1.  How to capture Rich Text like italics, bold, underline, bulleted items.
> We are trying to use something other than Microsoft Client Software
> Products (Word, Infopath).
>
> 2.  How to display the xml in a PDF or html format retaining the nice
> format?  Here are thoughts are to use XSL-FO, but we are looking for a tool
> to help us create the formatted output.
>
> Can XFORMS capture the rich text (bullets, italics, etc.)?
>
> Any other thoughts?  Thanks.
>

> Bob Barker
> The Vanguard Group

Bob,

Can you explain more about the purpose of the application that you hope to
create?

Specifically, I would be interested in why you want to capture presentation
detail in the XML that, presumably, you intend to transmit to a server-side
process. What relevance has the presentational appearance in the form to the
actual content of the data you hope to capture?

Andrew Watt