From: www-forms-request@w3.org [mailto:www-forms-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of AndrewWatt2001@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, 30 August 2003 1:34 a.m.
To: www-forms@w3.org
Cc: XForms@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Can XForms handle rich text?

Robert_Barker@vanguard.com writes:

We are working on a web based solution to capture documents in XML in
order
to display later in different formats.

The issues we are facing are:

1.  How to capture Rich Text like italics, bold, underline, bulleted
items.
We are trying to use something other than Microsoft Client Software
Products (Word, Infopath).

2.  How to display the xml in a PDF or html format retaining the nice
format?  Here are thoughts are to use XSL-FO, but we are looking for a
tool
to help us create the formatted output.

Can XFORMS capture the rich text (bullets, italics, etc.)?

Any other thoughts?  Thanks.

Bob Barker
The Vanguard Grou

Bob,

Can you explain more about the purpose of the application that you hope
to create?

Specifically, I would be interested in why you want to capture
presentation detail in the XML that, presumably, you intend to transmit
to a server-side process. What relevance has the presentational
appearance in the form to the actual content of the data you hope to
capture?

Andrew Watt