Svar: Storing values of "select" controls

From: David Landwehr <DLandwehr@novell.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 17:11:15 +0200
To: <roman.huditsch@hico.com>, <www-forms@w3.org>

Hi Roman,

You can use copy to get this behavior. The following is a simple example of what you could do:

  <xforms:instance id="defaultInstance">
    <data xmlns="">
  <xforms:instance id="selectValueInstance">
    <data xmlns="">

<xforms:select ref="selectedValues">
  <xforms:label>Select colours</xforms:label>
  <xforms:itemset nodeset="instance('selectValueInstance')/selectedValue">
    <xforms:label ref="."/>
    <xforms:copy ref="."/> <!-- Will copy the selectedValue into selectedValues -->

Best regards,

>>> "Roman Huditsch" <roman.huditsch@hico.com> 19-08-03 10:26 >>>

I am actually confronted with an user requirement concerning the layout and logic of an XForms file, which I currently can't fullfil.
I hope that someone of this mailinglist can give me an important hint.
So what's the problem...

As I have understood the XForms specification, all selected values of a "select"-control are stored in the bound element (or attribute) as whitespace seperated list.
Example: <selectedValues>yellow red green blue</selectedValues>

So far so good.

What my user want is the following:

He want to be able to select different values from a "select"-element, but the corresponding values should not be stored as a whitespace seperated list.
But the values should be stored like:

Is there any way to do so?
I thought about solving this problem over repeating structures, but this would mean that following select-elements must not include values ehich have been chosen before....

Pleas help me.

with best regards,