RE: Events review part II: 4.3 Interaction Events

From: Mikko Honkala <Mikko.Honkala@hut.fi>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 17:26:11 +0200
To: Jérôme Nègre <jerome.negre@e-xmlmedia.fr>, <www-forms@w3c.org>
> That's what I thought first, but how do you know that the default action has
> been canceled ?
> I only see a method defined in chapter 1.3.1, that is
> EventTarget.dispatchEvent(evt). And you get that result only after capture
> and bubbling phases.

The DOM implementation, which takes care of the default actions for elements, allows you to read this value. For instance, in
Xerces, there is a field:

EventImpl
public boolean preventDefault=false;

As you pointed out, it is not possible to read this value from the DOM level 2 interfaces. In what case you'd like to do that?

-mikko