Re: Events review part II: 4.3 Interaction Events

From: Jérôme Nègre <jerome.negre@e-xmlmedia.fr>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 16:14:11 +0100
To: "Mikko Honkala" <Mikko.Honkala@hut.fi>, <www-forms@w3c.org>
> Hi Jerome,
>
> thanks for your feedback. I am reading the DOM Events spec little
differently:

> * CAPTURE: the event goes down from doc node to the target node
> * TARGET: the event reaches its target.
> * BUBBLING the event goes back up to the doc node
> Event can be cancelled at any stage by calling event.preventDefault().
>
> This far we agree, but:
>
> Default actions are executed at each element within the normal event flow
(in each element after the listeners AT THAT ELEMENT).

> So there is no 4th event phase where the default actions are executed, but
instead they are executed within the normal
> capture/bubbling phases.

That's what I thought first, but how do you know that the default action has
been canceled ?
I only see a method defined in chapter 1.3.1, that is
EventTarget.dispatchEvent(evt). And you get that result only after capture
and bubbling phases.

Am I missing something ?

Jérôme