Re: Events review part II: 4.3 Interaction Events

From: Jérôme Nègre <jerome.negre@e-xmlmedia.fr>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 16:47:56 +0100
To: "Mikko Honkala" <Mikko.Honkala@hut.fi>, <www-forms@w3c.org>
> > That's what I thought first, but how do you know that the default action
has
> > been canceled ?
> > I only see a method defined in chapter 1.3.1, that is
> > EventTarget.dispatchEvent(evt). And you get that result only after
capture
> > and bubbling phases.
>
> The DOM implementation, which takes care of the default actions for
elements, allows you to read this value. For instance, in
> Xerces, there is a field:
>
> EventImpl
> public boolean preventDefault=false;

Since there's no getter method, you should not have to read this field.

> As you pointed out, it is not possible to read this value from the DOM
level 2 interfaces. In what case you'd like to do that?

Well, according to my understanding of DOM Events, one would have to write
something like that:

EventTarget myTarget = ...;
Event myEvent = ...;
myTarget.addEventListener("myEvent",firstListener,true);
myTarget.addEventListener("myEvent",secondListener,false);
myTarget.getParent.addEventListener("myEvent",thirdListener,false);
if(myTarget.dispatchEvent(myEvent)) {
    //do default processing, since nobody called preventDefault
}

How would you write something like in your understanding of DOM Events ?

Jérôme