textbox vs. textarea

From: T. V. Raman <tvraman@almaden.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 07:27:11 -0700
To: "Roman Huditsch" <r.huditsch@hico.com>
Cc: <www-forms@w3.org>
it'll be in the next version of the spec.
We went back and forth on this as a group --
the reasoning was  that whether something was shown in a
window 1 line high and 30 characters wide vs
3 lines and 80 chars was a presentation/style attribute.

We've however concluded after examining this issue further
that there is more than presentation when the author says
for instance it's conveying the semantics that the author
expects the user to type in more than a few characters
--thus helping to distinguish the body of an email from its

The version of the UI draft therefore calls these controls
<input> and <textarea>

    Roman> Hi again!  Reading the specification again, I
    Roman> missed the possibility of declaring a textarea as
    Roman> in HTML. Is ther a way in Xforms to display a
    Roman> textbox, which has for example rows=10, cols=50 ?
    Roman> Thanks and best regards, Roman

    >> Roman Huditsch (RH )
    >> hico Informations- und Kommunikations-Management
    >> Gesellschaft m.b.H.  TechLab, Thomas A. Edison Straße
    >> 2.  A-7000 Eisenstadt / Austria phone:
    >> +43/2682/704-61-00; fax: +43/2682/704-71-61-10
    >> e-mail:support@hico.com; r.huditsch@hico.com

Best Regards,

IBM Research: Human Language Technologies
Phone:        1 (408) 927 2608
Fax:        1 (408) 927 3012
Email:        tvraman@us.ibm.com
WWW:      http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/raman
PGP:          http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman.asc
Snail:        IBM Almaden Research Center,
              650 Harry Road
              San Jose 95120