Re: EOT & DMCA concerns

Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> That's claimable *right now*.  In fact, it's even worse.  At this
> moment Microsoft could truthfully make the claim that they're shipping
> the only webfont format accepted by major font foundries.  You know
> that Ascender supports EOTL, and it's very likely that other foundries
> will as well.

Bill Davis has a list, a close to current version of which is posted
here http://typophile.com/node/60220 along with a few 'me too'
statements from additional font makers.

There is a fair amount of cross-over between this list and the list of
foundries supporting .webfont.
http://typegirl.tumblr.com/post/142912558/most-of-the-important-foundries-are-supporting-webfont

If I had to characterise the difference between those who are on one
list but not on the other, I'd suggest that larger companies with
substantial multi-source libraries are supportive of EOT-Lite, while
smaller foundries mainly selling their own products are supportive of
.webfont.

However, I think this distinction might say more about the internal
politics of the type business than it does about the technical merits of
either proposal.

JH