Re: EOT-Lite File Format

From: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 16:15:15 -0700 (PDT)
To: www-font <www-font@w3.org>
> 1. We've figured out that the original submission [1] has a typo.
> The first version number should be 0x00020000, not 0x00010000.
> Version 1 is a legacy format that predates t2embed (!).

Ah, interesting, that would explain why I never could get version 1.0 EOT's to load.

> 2. We recommend using 0x00020000 for EOTL files as that version has no
> rootstrings nor EUDC. This means step #2 checks for that value only.

> For EOTL generators, I think the basic requirements I know of so far are
> 1. Set the version number to 0x00020000
> 2. Set the magic number to 0x504C
> 3. Set the embedding level to one of 0x0000 (installable), 0x0004
>    (preview and print), 0x0008 (editable), 0x0100 (no subsetting) or
>    0x0200 (bitmap only)
> 4. Set the Italic and Weight fields per their value in the OS/2 table.

So this is a list of data that needs to be correct for an EOT-Lite
font to be compatible with EOT-Classic applications (i.e. <= IE8),
correct?  Non-IE implementations and >IE8 should not be using the
embedding level or italic/weight info in the EOT-Lite header.
Style decisions are made using the font descriptor information in
the @font-face rule definitions.

For an example, see:

http://people.mozilla.org/~jdaggett/eot/droidserif.html

On Firefox 3.5/Mac OS X this renders as:

http://people.mozilla.org/~jdaggett/eot/droidserif.png

The third paragraph should render the same as the first paragraph. If
it's not the user agent is using bold/italic information from the font
(e.g. IE).