Re: EOT-Lite File Format

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 10:59 AM, Sylvain Galineau
<sylvaing@microsoft.com>wrote:

>    On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 10:04 AM, Sylvain Galineau <
> sylvaing@microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> 2. We recommend using 0x00020000 for EOTL files as that version has no
> rootstrings nor EUDC. This means step #2 checks for that value
> only.
>

> What do you mean "has no rootstrings"? You'd want IE (<=8) to process
> rootstrings contained in EOTL, to make it easier for authors to comply with
> font licensing.
>
> If licenses do require that, we’ll revisit. Ascender made the proposal and
> does not require them.

Bill seems to be saying that they do, in fact, require *some* kind of access
control:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-font/2009JulSep/0771.html
Although even his clarification isn't as clear as I would like.

Bill, can you answer this question: if I put a null-rootstring Ascender EOT
font on my public server, does Ascender consider me to be compliant with the
font license, or not?

Rob
53:5-6]