Re: EOT-Lite File Format

Robert O'Callahan wrote:

>     3. Set the embedding level to one of 0x0000 (installable), 0x0004
>     (preview and print), 0x0008 (editable), 0x0100 (no subsetting)

> Seems to me it would be simplest to require the EOTL embedding level
> bits to be exactly 0x0008. The other values don't make sense for Web fonts.

'Editable' implies that the content of the website set using this font
is editable by the user. This is certainly the case with much web text
-- even posting comments to a blog would qualify --, and will probably
become more common, so I'm inclined to agree that 0x0008 meakes sense as
a default embedding bit for web fonts.

However, the print and preview embedding level also makes sense in the
context of served content that is not editable by the user, and this
setting is pretty standard for non-web fonts from many foundries. If
editable embedding is to be standard for web fonts, it will have to be
explained to foundries why this is so.

JH