Re: Fonts WG Charter feedback

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 00:14:35 +0200
To: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Cc: (wrong string) åkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>, Tal Leming <tal@typesupply.com>, Thomas Lord <lord@emf.net>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>, Chris Wilson <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>, Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, "www-font@w3.org" <www-font@w3.org>
Also sprach John Hudson:

 > But your comments imply that the only resistance to TTF/OTF linking is
 > from Microsoft. In terms of browser makers, this may be the case, but
 > there is also resistance to TTF/OTF linking from the makers, sellers and
 > owners of fonts

Indeed, there are various kinds of resistance from font vendors. I
met many of them at Atypi in St Petersburg last year. Some object to
all forms of web-based distribution, some want strong DRM, some want a
token technical barrier, and some say that TTF/OTF will work fine
(given the right license terms).

Personally, I think that license terms is a better enforcer that
technical means, but I'm also open for a technical solution:

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Nov/0412.html

Cheers,

-h&kon