Re: Fonts WG Charter feedback

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 00:01:16 +0200
To: "karsten luecke" <list@kltf.de>
Cc: howcome@opera.com, lord@emf.net, www-font@w3.org
Also sprach karsten luecke:

 > >  - fundamentally, open standards don't benefit the dominant players in
 > >    a market as they lower the barrier for competition (this is true
 > >    for all markets, not just software)
 >
 > EOT *is* an open (documented) standard.

My comments were are about TTF/OTF, not EOT.

For most of its lifetime, EOT has been a secret format. Documentation
is now available, but that doesn't automatically make it an "open
standard", at least not per "Microsoft's definition" [1]:

  Let's look at what an open standard means: 'open' refers to it
  being royalty-free, while 'standard' means a technology approved by
  formalised committees that are open to participation by all
  interested parties and operate on a consensus basis. An open
  standard is publicly available, and developed, approved and
  maintained via a collaborative and consensus driven process.

  [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_standards

Cheers,

-h&kon