Re: Fonts WG Charter feedback

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 16:10:04 -0500
To: Chris Wilson <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>
Cc: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>, Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>, Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, "www-font@w3.org" <www-font@w3.org>
On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 3:56 PM, Chris Wilson<Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Tab Atkins Jr. [mailto:jackalmage@gmail.com] wrote:
>>> In other words, demand would rise for fonts
>>> with fewer restrictions and supply would
>>> follow, diminishing the pricing power of
>>> vendors of restricted-license fonts.
>>
>>That will happen or not regardless of the webfont format chosen.
>
> I certainly agree that no matter what, you'll see more fonts that clearly describe their licensing and restrictions.

I certainly hope so!  The obfuscated legalese that passes for
licensing agreements these days is unacceptable.

>>*No* proposal floated in this group pays the slightest bit of attention
>>to distribution rights on the author's side.  They generally differ only
>>on the degree of effort a website *viewer* has to expend to download a
>>font they see on a website and use it on their computer.
>
> Actually, I see it a little differently.  Accurately and clearly describing the licensing rights you have in the font makes a HUGE different to the author.

Certainly.  That's still completely orthogonal to the webfont format,
though.  No format that has been proposed has ever used (presumably
machine-readable) license terms to control how the *author* can use
fonts.

~TJ