RE: Fonts WG Charter feedback

From: Chris Wilson <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 22:52:57 +0000
To: "robert@ocallahan.org" <robert@ocallahan.org>, "Levantovsky, Vladimir" <Vladimir.Levantovsky@monotypeimaging.com>
CC: Thomas Lord <lord@emf.net>, John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>, www-font <www-font@w3.org>
Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>If "EOT Lite" fonts are to work in IE <= 8, then they must have the problems I described. Authors will need to implement Referer checking, otherwise fonts linked across domains will work in IE. And rootstring data will be treated differently by different browsers, if it is present, even though you say it shouldn't be.

No-o – I think if there’s no referrer, then it would work in IE.  I forget the internal details of the string match, but I would presume that can be worked around.  I was presuming when I read the proposal that it would mean rootstrings weren’t present?  Yes, if a rootstring WERE inserted into the file, it might NOT match in older IE versions; bummer.  Don’t do that (in your generation tool).

-Chris