Re: Fonts WG Charter feedback

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 20:20:13 -0500
To: Thomas Lord <lord@emf.net>
Cc: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>, Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, "www-font@w3.org" <www-font@w3.org>
On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 6:52 PM, Thomas Lord<lord@emf.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-07-01 at 01:25 +0200, Håkon Wium Lie wrote:
>> Also sprach Sylvain Galineau:
>>

>> The only thing I ask for from MS is that you also commit to support
>> TT/OT linking in IE, like you do in other products. This will require
>> an hour or so of your time.
>>
>> Will you do it?
>

> It sometimes appears that Håkon and I have
> deep differences so I want to say that I
> second him in that question.  It's a question
> of Microsoft's sense of social responsibility
> towards the standards process.

Sort of repeating what I said in my other email:

As an author, as long as raw TTF/OTF is *a* required format, I'm
*enormously* more flexible on what other formats may exist.  *One*
common format will at least put us at a good interop level, even if
many fonts aren't legally usable under it yet, and then we can have
all the knockdown-dragout fights we want over which new technology to
implement.

~TJ