Re: Fonts WG Charter feedback

From: Patrick Garies <pgaries@fastmail.us>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 04:39:37 -0500
To: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
CC: www-font@w3.org
Håkon Wium Lie wrote:
>  It's more likely that we will see a format war along the lines of
>  BlueRay/HD-DVD or EOT/TrueDoc. In these battles, there are no
>  winners, but many losers.

That isn't accurate. Blu-ray won the Blu-ray vs. HD DVD fight just like
VHS won the VHS vs. Betamax fight. There *are* winners.

EOT essentially won out over TrueDoc too with the discontinuing of the
competing format and the fall of Netscape. Despite IE being in a
dominant position (without serious competition for several years) and
having supported EOT through six major iterations over more than a
decade though, authors, apparently, haven't been interested in using it.
One has to wonder why.

— Patrick Garies