Re: Fonts WG Charter feedback

Karsten,

The proposal of "TTF/OTF only" would force
restricted-license font vendors to either
permit use on the web of their fonts
in that format or not permit use of their
fonts on the web.

The proposal of "TTF/OTF plus ____", the
blank to be filled in later, would not force
such a choice upon those vendors.

The rationalizations offered by the vendors
for rejecting "TTF/OTF only" do not apply
to "TTF/OTF plus _____".  Nothing in
"TTF/OTF plus ____" requires them to permit
web use of their fonts in TTF/OTF.

You seem to be suggesting a possible rationale
against "TTF/OTF plus ____".  I think you
are saying that people will then go ahead
and use TTF/OTF in cases where they are not
permitted to.  No doubt they will -- just as some
will make unauthorized conversions of
restricted licenses to and from any other format
we construct.

Meanwhile, there are many (and more coming)
fonts in TTF/OTF that already interoperate
with all browsers but one and with all desktops.
What rationale justifies using the Recommendation
to harm the makers and users of those fonts
and the makers and users of existing desktop
software?

-t