Re: DOMHighResTimeStamps in DOM events, use cases

> I'm not quite sure I follow. I guess the main problem would be that
> you suddenly have a decimal in there which is not what everyone
> expects at the moment. Boris, Jonas, opinions? (Context is whether or
> not we should have a new attribute on events indicating when the
> system dispatched them or if we should just change Event.timeStamp.)

The only relevant comment I have is that at one point Gecko temporarily
tried making Date.now() return sub-millisecond times, with a decimal.
This broke things all over that were concatenating the return value of
Date.now() with some constant strings to produce things like "unique"
class names and whatnot.  Turns out once your class name contains a '.'
you have to be careful with your CSS.  ;)

Anyway, there is probably nonzero risk of this being a problem with
Event.timeStamp.  Not sure how high the risk is.

The other possible risk is that high-res time and current
Event.timeStamp have a different 0 point, right?

> So would Event.systemTime be time since epoch as well? I cannot
> actually find an exact definition anywhere in the previous emails and
> I'm not sure what
> document()->loader()->timing()->convertMonotonicTimeToZeroBasedDocumentTime()
> does ;-) (I asked on #webkit, but people were asleep.)

Presumably converts to time with 0 set to document load start.  So the
same timescale as performance.now().

-Boris