Re: DOMHighResTimeStamps in DOM events, use cases

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 12:31:52 +0200
To: Robert Flack <flackr@chromium.org>
Cc: Pablo Garaizar Sagarminaga <garaizar@deusto.es>, www-dom@w3.org, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 5:03 PM, Robert Flack <flackr@chromium.org> wrote:
> I think we will need a new property. Although I would also prefer changing
> Event.timeStamp to be Performance timestamps, it seems that the only way to
> check if it was safe to compare it with Date.now() or Performance.now()
> would be to check the magnitude of the timestamp. I like Event.systemTime as
> well.

I'm not quite sure I follow. I guess the main problem would be that
you suddenly have a decimal in there which is not what everyone
expects at the moment. Boris, Jonas, opinions? (Context is whether or
not we should have a new attribute on events indicating when the
system dispatched them or if we should just change Event.timeStamp.)

So would Event.systemTime be time since epoch as well? I cannot
actually find an exact definition anywhere in the previous emails and
I'm not sure what
document()->loader()->timing()->convertMonotonicTimeToZeroBasedDocumentTime()
does ;-) (I asked on #webkit, but people were asleep.)

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/