Re: Element.style setter

On 8/31/12 8:24 AM, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> Allowing this results in odd situations like `a != b` right
> after setting `a = b`

This is already all over the web platform.  First of all, every case
with [PutForwards] (which is how one would implement the behavior in
question).  An existing example:

   window.location = "http://something";
   alert(window.location);  // alerts "object"

Or even in the CSSOM:

   div.style.color = "red";
   div.style.color = "oh, you want equality?"
   alert(div.style.color); // alerts "red"

or in the DOM:

   div.innerHTML = "<span>foo"
   alert(div.innerHTML); // alerts "<span>foo</span>"

Just saying.  If we really wanted to do this, implementing it in the web
platform would be pretty straightforward: toss [PutForwards=cssText] on
the .style attribute, and WebIDL will take care of the rest....

I'm not entirely convinced we do want to do it, though I'm not entirely
unconvinced either.

-Boris