Re: Element.style setter

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 13:03:50 -0300
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: www-dom@w3.org
On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> On 8/31/12 8:24 AM, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
>>
>> Allowing this results in odd situations like `a != b` right
>> after setting `a = b`
>

> This is already all over the web platform.  First of all, every case with
> [PutForwards] (which is how one would implement the behavior in question).
> An existing example:
>
>   window.location = "http://something";
>   alert(window.location);  // alerts "object"
>
> Or even in the CSSOM:
>
>   div.style.color = "red";
>   div.style.color = "oh, you want equality?"
>   alert(div.style.color); // alerts "red"
>
> or in the DOM:
>
>   div.innerHTML = "<span>foo"
>   alert(div.innerHTML); // alerts "<span>foo</span>"
>
> Just saying.  If we really wanted to do this, implementing it in the web
> platform would be pretty straightforward: toss [PutForwards=cssText] on the
> .style attribute, and WebIDL will take care of the rest....

For what it's worth. This is the reason that I think that
[PutsForwards] is a really bad idea. It makes the platform more
complicated for relatively little gain. And so I think we should have
left it as a document.location legacy quirk.

I've so far always lost this argument though as it keeps being added
to new APIs.

/ Jonas