Re: textInput --> beforeInput [ISSUE-121]

From: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 13:48:22 -0400
To: www-dom@w3.org, Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org>
Hi, Ojan-

I wanted to close the loop with you on this issue.

I appreciate your use case and your reasoning for it, but feedback from
other implementers seemed to favor keeping the 'textinput' event as a
text-only notification, rather than expanding it to other types of
content.  For DOM3 Events, we have chosen to stay with the 'textinput'
event, as it was defined.

I still see the merits in your proposal, and I believe that it might be
particularly useful in the context of the proposed HTML Editing API spec
[1], which is being discussed in a dedicated Community Group [2]; the
'beforeinput' event may or may not be suitable for that spec (I've only
skimmed it), but I think it could be defined to suit the functionality
defined there.  I'm happy to help with that, and in finding it a good home.

Please let us know if you are satisfied with this response; we will
assume this issue is closed if we don't hear from you in a couple of weeks.

[1] http://aryeh.name/spec/editing/editing.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/community/editing/

Regards-
-Doug