Re: Functions that Implement the EventListener Interface (DOM Level 3 Events)

From: Rob Brackett <rbrackett@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 21:56:15 -0700
Cc: "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>

On Jun 17, 2011, at 9:26 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU> wrote:

> On 6/17/11 11:07 PM, Rob Brackett wrote:
>> But it seems disappointing that such flexibility and consistency in the API would be sacrificed for an optimization in Internet Explorer.
>
> Not just IE.  The behavior currently in the spec is the behavior that Chrome, Gecko, and IE have, no?

I was referring to the fact that, in the earlier email, it sounded like the *optimization,* and thus the desire for the current behavior, was unique to IE.

But to answer the question: yes; IE, Gecko, and Chrome match the current spec. However, any WebKit implementation that uses JavaScriptCore, which I believe represents a wide variety of mobile browsers using WebKit (not just iOS), currently differs from the spec. So not all implementations agree.

-Rob