-Jacob

From: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com<mailto:glenn@skynav.com?Subject=Re%3A%20Standardize%20Buttons%20For%20TV-Web%20Remotes%3F&In-Reply-To=%253CBANLkTinzp5bQUEdTfJffnYgdUrVyTvx8wg%40mail.gmail.com%253E&References=%253CBANLkTinzp5bQUEdTfJffnYgdUrVyTvx8wg%40mail.gmail.com%253E>>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 10:34:51 -0600
To: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org<mailto:schepers@w3.org?Subject=Re%3A%20Standardize%20Buttons%20For%20TV-Web%20Remotes%3F&In-Reply-To=%253CBANLkTinzp5bQUEdTfJffnYgdUrVyTvx8wg%40mail.gmail.com%253E&References=%253CBANLkTinzp5bQUEdTfJffnYgdUrVyTvx8wg%40mail.gmail.com%253E>>
Cc: Giuseppe Pascale <giuseppep@opera.com<mailto:giuseppep@opera.com?Subject=Re%3A%20Standardize%20Buttons%20For%20TV-Web%20Remotes%3F&In-Reply-To=%253CBANLkTinzp5bQUEdTfJffnYgdUrVyTvx8wg%40mail.gmail.com%253E&References=%253CBANLkTinzp5bQUEdTfJffnYgdUrVyTvx8wg%40mail.gmail.com%253E>>, W3C Web and TV <public-web-and-tv@w3.org<mailto:public-web-and-tv@w3.org?Subject=Re%3A%20Standardize%20Buttons%20For%20TV-Web%20Remotes%3F&In-Reply-To=%253CBANLkTinzp5bQUEdTfJffnYgdUrVyTvx8wg%40mail.gmail.com%253E&References=%253CBANLkTinzp5bQUEdTfJffnYgdUrVyTvx8wg%40mail.gmail.com%253E>>, "www-dom@w3.org<mailto:www-dom@w3.org?Subject=Re%3A%20Standardize%20Buttons%20For%20TV-Web%20Remotes%3F&In-Reply-To=%253CBANLkTinzp5bQUEdTfJffnYgdUrVyTvx8wg%40mail.gmail.com%253E&References=%253CBANLkTinzp5bQUEdTfJffnYgdUrVyTvx8wg%40mail.gmail.com%253E>" <www-dom@w3.org<mailto:www-dom@w3.org?Subject=Re%3A%20Standardize%20Buttons%20For%20TV-Web%20Remotes%3F&In-Reply-To=%253CBANLkTinzp5bQUEdTfJffnYgdUrVyTvx8wg%40mail.gmail.com%253E&References=%253CBANLkTinzp5bQUEdTfJffnYgdUrVyTvx8wg%40mail.gmail.com%253E>>

It is simply a matter of best practices to define normative conventions for

avoiding collisions when arbitrary parties can create names. That is why we

have .com, .org, etc in domain names; that is why Unicode has a private use

area and doesn't allow users to define character codes outside such area.

Java has a convention for ensuring non-collision of package names.

Furthermore, you don't want a third party creating a name and then in the

future you want to revise the standard to include a standard definition that

would use or reuse such a private name.

If you don't want to define a convention to permit avoiding collisions

between 3rd parties, at least define a convention that all private uses must

employ in order to distinguish from standard use. In CSS, property names

that start with '-' (HYPHEN) are considered private uses; in MIME types,

sub-types that start with "x-" are considered private use.

Now is the time to define a convention, and not later when private uses

impose constraints on new standard uses.

Regards,

Glenn

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 10:11 AM, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org<mailto:schepers@w3.org?Subject=Re%3A%20Standardize%20Buttons%20For%20TV-Web%20Remotes%3F&In-Reply-To=%253CBANLkTinzp5bQUEdTfJffnYgdUrVyTvx8wg%40mail.gmail.com%253E&References=%253CBANLkTinzp5bQUEdTfJffnYgdUrVyTvx8wg%40mail.gmail.com%253E>> wrote: