Re: Standardize Buttons For TV-Web Remotes?

It is simply a matter of best practices to define normative conventions for
avoiding collisions when arbitrary parties can create names. That is why we
have .com, .org, etc in domain names; that is why Unicode has a private use
area and doesn't allow users to define character codes outside such area.
Java has a convention for ensuring non-collision of package names.
Furthermore, you don't want a third party creating a name and then in the
future you want to revise the standard to include a standard definition that
would use or reuse such a private name.

If you don't want to define a convention to permit avoiding collisions
between 3rd parties, at least define a convention that all private uses must
employ in order to distinguish from standard use. In CSS, property names
that start with '-' (HYPHEN) are considered private uses; in MIME types,
sub-types that start with "x-" are considered private use.

Now is the time to define a convention, and not later when private uses
impose constraints on new standard uses.

Regards,
Glenn